GIADS – CRC Command and Control System
German Improved Air Defence System (GIADS)
The GIADS, acting as a Control & Reporting Center (CRC) within a national and NATO structure focuses on air surveillance, air picture production, airspace management and coordination, threat evaluation and mission control.
GIADS is a state-of-the-art air force C2 system designed for the current and future requirements of the German Air Force. It is the Command & Control system for tactical air control operations and is in use in all Control and Reporting Centres of the German Air Force, including the Deployable CRC. The system processes air traffic information delivered by different ground-based radars. The military air situation displayed is automatically supplemented with civil ATC data (e.g. air situation from Eurocontrol, flight plans) and forwarded to relevant partner systems.
GIADS – Functional areas and operational tasks:
The GIADS system produces and disseminates a recognized air picture and assists the operators in tracking and identifying airborne objects, air policing, selection of defensive forces to counter those objects identified as threats and guidance of selected resources to designated targets.
GIADS supports the following operational tasks:
- Mission planning and monitoring, including a planning component with comprehensive map management
- Evaluation of own and enemy situation taking into account environmental conditions and tasking.
- Air surveillance: Production and dissemination of a recognized air picture, sensor control and sensor data fusion incl. identification
- Air mission control: Conduct support of air operations (Fighter and SAM) incl. de-confliction of Fighter/SAM.
- Force management: Command and control of allocated forces within Area Of Responsibility (AOR)
- Airspace management: Coordination of airspace usage
- Military air traffic control: Control of all military air traffic including collaboration with civilian ATC
- Local C2 resource management: Management of C2 resources, e.g. electronics, radios
- Support functions: Reporting, information exchange and networking, recording, reduction, playback, administration, maintenance and simulation.